Baked Mac and Cheese
● By Anonymous
- 1 box (16-ounce) corkscrew or minipenne pasta
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons original TABASCO brand pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Breadcrumb Topping
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup dried seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon original TABASCO brand pepper sauce
Prepare pasta as directed on label. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended and smooth. Whisk in milk, salt and TABASCO sauce, gradually. Cook until thickened and smooth, stirring often. Add cheeses to sauce and stir until melted. Toss sauce with cooked pasta in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Prepare breadcrumb topping: Melt butter or margarine in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in breadcrumbs and TABASCO sauce until well blended. Spoon crumb mixture over macaroni & cheese.
Bake 20 minutes until crumbs are toasted and mixture is heated through.
Makes 8 servings.